A lot of this is due to the prevalence of bad landlords. But bad landlords aren't necessarily bad people: it's just that they have no idea what the job of being a landlord is all about, and are flouting laws they didn't know existed.
My guest, Tessa Shepperson, has seen it all when it comes to landlords getting themselves into very hot legal water – and as she explains, the consequences for not doing the job properly are getting more severe…
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- How new local authority penalties and rent repayment orders are about to make it very expensive if you breach your legal responsibilities
- Where landlords go wrong in terms of finding tenants – and what they should be doing instead
- The clauses that should go in your tenancy agreement to make sure you have the legal protection you need
- Where landlords are still messing up the protection of tenants' deposits
- The most common mistakes that prevent landlords from evicting troublesome tenants
- Tessa's legal perspective on the letting fee ban, and what it might mean for landlords and tenants
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT WHAT TESSA DOES
MY BOOK “HOW TO BE A LANDLORD” IS OUT NOW!
How To Be A Landlord is a comprehensive, easy to follow and entertaining guide to everything you need to know about letting and managing a property. For a beginner, it's the perfect reference manual you'll refer back to time and time again – and there's plenty to learn for experienced landlords too.
Click here to buy your copy as a paperback, audiobook and for Kindle