If you want to get started in property investment and you're looking around online, it won't take you long to come across people who want to sell you expensive courses or mentorships.
And you know what? There's absolutely nothing wrong with spending money on your property education, if it's going to help you achieve better results more quickly. The right piece of information at the right time can put a rocket under your success, or save you from an expensive failure.
There's just one problem: a lot of property training falls into one of two categories:
- Good information that's inappropriate for your situation or level of experience
- Outdated, borderline dangerous content designed primarily to sell you the dream so you sign up to the next (more expensive) course
Before you spend any money, do this
Before you spend any money on property training (even buying a book!), I recommend you spend at least some time absorbing the completely free property investment courses that are available online.
If you do this, you'll be able to establish whether property investment is right for you before spending any money. Maybe you'll discover that you can't get a mortgage, or you can't make the money you thought you could, or it just all sounds like far more effort than you thought. If that's the case, it's better to find out before you hand over any cash.
Free property courses will also allow you to develop a basic level of knowledge, so you're in a better position to assess the paid options when the time comes. You'll have a better idea of what you want to achieve and where you need help so you can choose the most appropriate course for your goals, and you'll be able to verify whether what you're being told in your training is actually accurate.
Free property investment courses to start with
My free email course
A nice low-effort, highly structured way to get an overview of the property investment landscape is my free email course – where I deliver 8 lessons straight to your inbox, telling you what you need to succeed in property right now.
- What the market is like today: what works, and what doesn't
- How to set meaningful, realistic property goals
- How to make the most of mortgages and minimise the effects of tax
- My process for deciding what to buy, and how to assess a deal
- And lots more!
I won't pass your email address to anyone else, or use it for any other purpose – in short, no strings!Get the first part sent to you now
Property video training from The Property Hub
Over at The Property Hub (which I co-founded) we've put together an ever-growing collection of video courses on a range of property topics.
All you need is to sign up for free lifetime membership (which also gives you access to our online community and lots of other goodies), and you'll have access to our entire library. Some of my favourites are:
- Running The Numbers – how to assess a property investment, with a basic spreadsheet you can use to do it yourself
- The 18 Year Property Cycle Explained – the most comprehensive resource online about a concept that will make you look at property completely differently
- How To Invest When You Have No Time – making sure that you don't fall into the trap of letting a busy full-time job prevent you from building your portfolio
Ready to graduate?
You might find that the free material gives you what you need – but if you want to go deeper with your property training, you'll have a solid foundation to build on.
In this article, I describe the different types of paid property courses – and the questions to ask to make sure you're spending your money wisely.